Thursday, October 16, 2014

A Natural Deodorant That Actually Works!! (Really!)

Quite a while ago, someone had sent me a link via facebook, a recipe for a homemade natural deodorant that really works.  I was very, very skeptical about this since I had tried what felt like hundreds of natural deodorants with no luck.  They never worked for me and were sometimes messy or sticky (I hate sticky underarms!!)  I also know that I don't often do physical labor, so if the work I do around the house causes me to stink, then the natural deodorant is no good!

Well, I tried this one and lo and behold it actually WORKED!!!  I believe this recipe was given to me before the whole Mayan Calender/ end of the world hype, so as a preventative, I wrote the recipe down as well as pinned it to my pinterest board.  I am so glad I wrote it down because I went to share the recipe with someone and the original site I got it from is no longer up.  I don't even remember what the site was anymore since I have been making my recipe from my little book of homemade cleaners and personal care items that I have been collecting.

So in an effort to keep this recipe active, I decided I would share it here.  If you like this recipe and try it, please share it with your friends who might be interested in making their own Natural Deodorant that Actually Works!!  (Really!).

Here is what you need:
1 T cocoa butter
1 T coconut oil
1 T Shea Butter
1 T beeswax (you can get beeswax pearls on amazon or buy a block and shave it)
2 1/2 T arrowroot powder
1 T Baking soda
1/4 t vitamin E oil
15 drops of essential oil of your choice
2 capsules of shelf stable probiotic (make sure they are powdered inside and you can open them)

Instructions:
1. Melt cocoa butter, coconut oil, Shea butter, and beeswax over low heat
2.  Remove pan from heat, then add arrowroot and baking soda.  Stir until combined and powders are dissolved.  Add vitamin E oil and essential oil at this time.  Allow to cool in pan until it is the consistency of pudding.  Open capsules of probiotics and add powder to mixture.  Stir with spatula to quickly combine.
3.  Add mixture to a clean jar to use as a paste or a used clean deodorant container.  Place in refrigerator to harden.

To use:  Just a tiny amount is all you need under each armpit.  Maybe the size of a pea or your fingertip.  This recipe should last at least a month.

If you have sensitive skin, omit the baking soda.
I have never had luck putting it in a deodorant container, but if you can it would be so much easier.  I usually put it in a jar and use a little bit under each arm like a cream or a paste.

Disclaimer:  I am writing this from my own experience.  I have never given this to anyone else to use so I have no other input but my own.  If you are sensitive to any of the ingredients, do not use, or omit the ingredient, I am not sure of the effectiveness if you omit the ingredients, though.  I also remember reading from the original site, that his product might discolor your skin and/or clothing.  I, personally, haven't had this problem on my skin, but I have an olive skin tone.  I have noticed it has discolored some of my shirts.  If you are a model and can't risk discolored underarms or just do not want to risk it, or have an expensive shirt, do not use this product.

No comments:

Post a Comment