Thursday, February 20, 2014

I haven't really had time to do many new projects.  I've been concentrating on getting the house decluttered and clean since i am sick and tired of living in CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome).  Yes, that's right I am finally back on the Flylady wagon.  For those of you who don't know her, check her out at www.flylady.net.  She's got an awesome system of routines that will get your house in tip top shape so you are ready for company at a moment's notice, but most importantly for yourself.  I even have my 12 year old son doing routines!  (YAY)  the 9 year old is still resistant.

But hey, 1 out of 2 isn’t bad and maybe by the time he is 12 he'll want to hop on the bandwagon, too..  I still struggle with getting either of them to empty the dishwasher, but at least they keep their rooms clean and make their beds.
 

The weather is finally warming up, but they say it is supposed to drop down into the 50's and 60's again.  As long as the snow and ice stay away I will be happy!  I would love to get outside and paint, since I have a pair of great 1920's chairs I want to repaint and finish, but it has been too windy! 

I also got a new paint sprayer and I have been dying to use it.  I don’t think there is enough room in the garage to use it… maybe I need to make a spray area somewhere… haha.  If you’ve seen my garage you would know how crazy that statement is!  Besides all the furniture and other projects I have in there, I still have some old cabinets and counter tops from our kitchen remodel 2 years ago…  But you never know when you might need them!    


I finished this spice rack a few weeks ago.  I really loved how it came out.
 
 I found the shelves at Goodwill and it was stained a basic brown.  And I found the spice jars at Jo-Ann's Fabrics.  Of course, I finished it before I decided I was going to start blogging, so i have no before pictures.
First, I primed it white:

 
Then I painted it Martha Stewart Silhouette from Home Depot.  I used sand paper to distress it.  Nice thing was since it was already an old piece so there were some original distressed cracks on it.  After it was roughed, I used Minwax stain in Provincial.  Then, once it was dry, I finished it with Minwax finishing paste.





For the jars, I bought them at Jo-Anne's and I used my Silhouette to create the labels from plain white cardstock.  I used the sketch pens to make the words and the outline and then used the cutter to cut the labels out.  After I made the labels, I used Modpodge outdoor to attach them to each jar. 






I love the way the finished product looks.  I made this one for my mother, but I wanted to keep it for myself.  Good thing I already have a spice rack!  I think I will do the same to mine...

No comments:

Post a Comment